Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Final Thoughts and Observations...

Italy was amazing!  But I think what made the trip even better was the group I was traveling with... We had so much fun!  Maggie did an amazing job of planning our adventure and setting up some pretty amazing things for us.  I don't know that I will ever be able to thank Ray and Maggie enough for this... It was truly an amazing adventure!  I love you guys!

I know there are some people who are looking at going to Italy in the future, so I'm passing on some of my favorites places, eats, etc.

In Rome, we stayed at the Hotel Manfredi on Via Margutta, next to the Spanish Steps.  The location was perfect, the staff was great and it has one of the best free breakfasts that I've ever had... America, take notice, they know how to do a free breakfast!  Here's a shot outside the hotel looking down Via Margutta...


In Assisi, we stayed in the Residenza d'Epoca San Crispino.  The coolest B&B I've ever stayed in!  The rooms (apartments) we stayed in were beautiful with old desks and furniture that dated way back to the 1400's and had been used by Monks that studied there.  Each room had either a balcony or a yard attached where you could enjoy the view and coffee.


Finally, in Tuscany, we stayed at the Borgo Casorelle right outside of Lamporecchio.  I can't say enough about this place!  Stephano, the keeper, was great, the apartments were roomy and had kitchens and multiple bathrooms (that's a must when several people are residing there!).  Oh and let's not forget pizza night!  That's a given for all guests and a great way to meet the other people staying there.  I met a couple from Slovinia that want to trade homes for vacations!  And the view... ahh the view.  Stay there if you get the chance, you won't regret it!


My favorite meals...

Rome - La Buvetta located near Via Margutta and the Spanish Steps... YUM!
Assisi - Trattoria Pallonta... It's a small town, you'll find it.
Bologna - Trattoria Leonida... Located off a small side street.  Well worth the search!

As far as places we saw, there are so many cool things to see and do, it's hard to name them all.  In Rome, St. Peter's and the Sistine Chapel are must sees.  Not to mention the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps.  If you can book it far enough ahead (we're talking months), try to get into the Scavi Tour in the catacombs under the Vatican (thanks again, Maggie).




If you do go to Assisi, which was one of my favorites, make sure to wander around at night... It's beautiful!  But even in the day, some of the nicest views I've seen!




In Tuscany, we visited Siena, Bologna and Florence.  I must admit, I loved the feel of Bologna because there wasn't as many tourists there.  I felt like I got a better glimpse of what an Italian life looks like.  Florence is beautiful as well.  The picture of the bridge I'm attaching doesn't do it justice.  The buildings along the bridge used to be homes.  Now the entire bridge is lined with jewelry shops... as Paul said "lots of sparkly things."




I would go back to Italy in a heartbeat.  It's a beautiful country with great food and warm people.  I learned and saw so much.  I can't wait to go back again.

Oh, one final thing...


Make sure you have one of these when you come home... I'm really good at making coffee with one of these now.  It's strong and makes me think of Italy.

Ciao for now, Italia... I will return!

No comments:

Post a Comment